Pages

UNDAUNTED
For a few very hard years this word was my mantra.
The word means
-undismayed; not discouraged; not forced to abandon purpose or effort
-undiminished in courage or valor; not giving way to fear
But the truth is, I was often dismayed by everything that had taken place, and I did battle discouragement. I battled fear and doubts. I hurt and was angry, and sometimes "undaunted" sounded more like a mockery than a mantra, and I was determined to be real about all of it in these posts, thus the name, Undaunted Reality. More than that, though, I was determined to live undaunted, not because I'm so great or strong, but because my God is, and no matter what this world looks like, He is the only reality that matters.
I pray I live the reality of Him beautifully undaunted.

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

How Are You?

My Dear J,

I have been thinking about our conversation concerning responses to the question, "How are you?" I could theorize on the theological conditions which lead to the pat Christian-ized answers--I am referring to people replying that they are "blessed", "glorious", "highly favored", and so on. In simple response to your question, though, as to the why people give those answers, I think there is a misunderstanding in the wholeness of people.

The truth is when people say they are blessed, I can only think that is the most inane, obvious answer there is. Of course we are blessed. We are still breathing on planet earth, and no matter what is happening, in God's mercy, He is still blessing a person to create an atmosphere where the person recognizes His hand in his or her life and grows in relationship with Him. To say, "I'm blessed," really speaks more to God's faithful character than our personal condition.

The same is truly for when someone says, "I'm highly favored."

Great. I'm glad you recognize that.

To say, "I'm fantastic," is really nothing more than the declaration of being on an emotional high of some kind.

But when I ask how you are, I am asking about the condition of your heart as it walks through the circumstances of  this world.

One can be blessed and have a crushed heart. One can be highly favored and still battle demons of the past. One can be a on an emotional high and still be spiritually bankrupt.

So when I ask you how you are, I am not asking for the pretty answer. I'm asking for the honest one. I don't expect you to tell me all the sordid details, but if your heart is broken, I want you to know I care about your broken heart.

If your mind is filled with thoughts of your prodigal, you may still be blessed and highly favored, but prodigals sure weigh heavy in a heart.

If you are trying to give up those cigarettes, you can be blessed and highly favored...and agitated and struggling and wondering where your strength is going to come from and...

And you know, being blessed and favored doesn't help much when you are walking in the condemnation of feeling like an idiot for that sexual romp Friday night.

And I don't care how brave your face is when you tell me you are trusting God, if your eyes are bloodshot from crying all night because your marriage is going to hell in a hand basket and you don't know how you are going to handle it.

And honestly, God is not impressed by brave faces, but He will move heaven and earth...or leave heaven for earth...to respond to the honest needs of an honest heart.

That is how He is.

How are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment