Pages

UNDAUNTED
For a few very hard years this word was my mantra.
The word means
-undismayed; not discouraged; not forced to abandon purpose or effort
-undiminished in courage or valor; not giving way to fear
But the truth is, I was often dismayed by everything that had taken place, and I did battle discouragement. I battled fear and doubts. I hurt and was angry, and sometimes "undaunted" sounded more like a mockery than a mantra, and I was determined to be real about all of it in these posts, thus the name, Undaunted Reality. More than that, though, I was determined to live undaunted, not because I'm so great or strong, but because my God is, and no matter what this world looks like, He is the only reality that matters.
I pray I live the reality of Him beautifully undaunted.

Sunday, March 9, 2014

What Has Stayed with Me

Something interesting struck me this morning while I am being still, hanging with God, and laughing with friends.

Kenneth and Joy Jordan were our pastors through most of the first year of loss and rebuilding from 2010 to 2011. At that time, they lived 7 hours away, but they were always present, always available. Good heavens the love they poured out on us.

Then in fall 2011 (they can correct me if I am wrong) they moved less than 30 minutes away. They lived near us for nearly a year. I thank God for that year. Few years of friendships have been so precious to me.

The whole time they lived near us, they attended church. I remember their beautiful children asking my son (and probably daughter) to go to camp with them, and my son did attend a children's thing with them once. But you know, I don't remember their asking me to go to church with them. I don't remember their ever being a big promoter of their church. HOWEVER, they were big promoters of love, acceptance, kindness, compassion, presence, strength. Their home was always open to us.
We enjoyed many meals and much laughter with them.

I've heard Kenneth preach once. I remember I thought it was a good sermon, but now I can't remember it. I've seen him and Joy love a lot, and I can tell you tons about that. I'm not saying Kenneth isn't a good preacher. I'm just saying I've heard him talk about Jesus, and I've seen him live Jesus, and the way he lives Jesus is what has stuck with me.

Copyright 2014 Jerri Kelley Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment