Pages

UNDAUNTED
For a few very hard years this word was my mantra.
The word means
-undismayed; not discouraged; not forced to abandon purpose or effort
-undiminished in courage or valor; not giving way to fear
But the truth is, I was often dismayed by everything that had taken place, and I did battle discouragement. I battled fear and doubts. I hurt and was angry, and sometimes "undaunted" sounded more like a mockery than a mantra, and I was determined to be real about all of it in these posts, thus the name, Undaunted Reality. More than that, though, I was determined to live undaunted, not because I'm so great or strong, but because my God is, and no matter what this world looks like, He is the only reality that matters.
I pray I live the reality of Him beautifully undaunted.

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

From my journal...When God Makes a Promise, He's Already Made the Plan to Fulfill It

(Written December 28, 2013)

I feel the urge to memorize Isaiah 32:2 (my word for 2014) before the first of the year. I don't want it to be mid-December when I finally get this one like it was for the word for 2013. Praise the Lord I finally got it, though. At least I can carry it with me the rest of my life.

This year I want to take more responsibility for this word. I'm not really sure how to do that. In the past I've tried to make things happen, part of that being and doing has been misguided and not realizing the Lord will make everything happen. It's really a hard concept for me honestly. I have responsibility to do my part, but yet, He does everything.

The analogy of marriage again popped into my head.

I love when He makes things so I can understand them.

He is the husband. He has promised to cover, provide, lead, and make a good life for us. He's given His word.

I am the wife. I am to:
--cultivate our relationship and be open to intimacy with Him
--steward my time so we always have time together, important things are done, others are part of our lives
--take care of myself so I am the best for Him and for us
--steward our resources well
--be in agreement with Him on how we raise our children
--take Him at His word

If He promises something, He will bring it to pass.

Those seem like simple enough guidelines. Think marriage. Not as the needy wife, but as the capable partner who is fully covered, whose weaknesses are not grounds for rejection, but are accepted as part of the whole package and are covered.

Isn't that what commitment in a relationship is?

We are committing to covering the other person's weaknesses.

I don't know how to explain it without it sounding warped, but we have to realize we are saying:

"I know you are figuring out conflict resolution and pretty much stink at it right now, are learning to communicate better by learning to trust me, working on your cooking, or whatever. I've got your back. If there is a chasm between us and you can only get 1/3 of the way across the bridge, I'll walk the other 2/3 of the way to get to you."

With the Lord, He already knows my weaknesses.
He already has me covered.
He already has a plan to meet me wherever I am.

When He promises something in our marriage, He already has the plan to get us there. He's already factored in my personality, my weaknesses and strengths, and everything else. He's not thinking, "Well, if everything goes just right and she gets her act together and handles this the way I need her to, we should be okay."

Nope.

He's thinking,
"I know my Jerri. I know what she's capable of. I know where she is going to get tired or discouraged. I know where she is going to excel and run wide open.
I know my Bride,
and I am confident we can do this."

And isn't that the key?
 
We can do this.

In the past, I've seen these promises as something I've had to accomplish, more like a command of who I need to be than a gift of what I get to live.

This year I want to live the gift.

2 comments:

  1. Jerri - my friend thank you for this ! It speaks to me so strongly as decision time is upon me ! - I love you and I love the Lord and I too want to live the gift !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, my dear friend, I am praying for you. May you be bold and fearless! May you know with all you are our Lord has you. Blessings of strength and joy be to you!! Love you huge!

    ReplyDelete