Pages

UNDAUNTED
For a few very hard years this word was my mantra.
The word means
-undismayed; not discouraged; not forced to abandon purpose or effort
-undiminished in courage or valor; not giving way to fear
But the truth is, I was often dismayed by everything that had taken place, and I did battle discouragement. I battled fear and doubts. I hurt and was angry, and sometimes "undaunted" sounded more like a mockery than a mantra, and I was determined to be real about all of it in these posts, thus the name, Undaunted Reality. More than that, though, I was determined to live undaunted, not because I'm so great or strong, but because my God is, and no matter what this world looks like, He is the only reality that matters.
I pray I live the reality of Him beautifully undaunted.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

On Being Profound

It's that kind of day. You know the kind. I know you do. When Ann Voskamp shows up in your email and your FB feed and sounds deep and profound and enlightened, and you are just trying to find your way out of the pile of dishes you left in the sink because by the time they showed up last night you were just too tired to deal so you went to bed early and slept...sort of... It's the kind of day when you read a chapter from this book, and the descriptions have you right in the middle of it all, and the characters have you mesmerized, and where do they come up with these crazy good plot ideas anyway, and you wonder what in the world it would take for you to write like that because...well, we all know it, so let's just say it...I am not Ann Voskamp and I am not Tim Downs or Francine Rivers or Leanna Ellis or...profound.

I'm just Jerri.

But today I want to be profound. I want to write something that catches readers' attention. I want my words to be so enthralling and powerful that they burn into someone's brain and roll around there all day and maybe even tomorrow and randomly show back up from time to time just when the person is ready to throw in the white flag but something I said makes them decide not to. Something makes them think, 'Not today. Today, I can do this. Today I can cling to the cross and get through. Today, I will stand.'

Really. How privileged to be the words that tells someone, "Today, you can still stand, just don't let go of the Cross, and you will stand just fine."

Because really, isn't that how we all stand? Clinging to the Cross.

It isn't this divinely animated dirt that holds me up but the blood poured out and the love rained down. It is the One who chose to be the weakest that makes me the strongest. It is the One who chose to be sin who makes it possible for me to be sinless.

And without that I am nothing.

It is not so hard for Him to become everything when I realize how utterly nothing I really am.

And is there anything more profound than the simple gift of a life lived as a constant act of dying?

Does it get more profound than that?

Could it be that the most profound thing I have to offer is the simple fact God loves you and Jesus died for you and whoever and whatever you've been and done you don't have to be or do anymore because in the presence of Everything all of you--even the filthy ugly--becomes nothing except wanted and loved? And isn't wanted and loved what we all want to be anyway?

Does it get more profound than that?

Or any simpler?

No comments:

Post a Comment