Pages

UNDAUNTED
For a few very hard years this word was my mantra.
The word means
-undismayed; not discouraged; not forced to abandon purpose or effort
-undiminished in courage or valor; not giving way to fear
But the truth is, I was often dismayed by everything that had taken place, and I did battle discouragement. I battled fear and doubts. I hurt and was angry, and sometimes "undaunted" sounded more like a mockery than a mantra, and I was determined to be real about all of it in these posts, thus the name, Undaunted Reality. More than that, though, I was determined to live undaunted, not because I'm so great or strong, but because my God is, and no matter what this world looks like, He is the only reality that matters.
I pray I live the reality of Him beautifully undaunted.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Medical Kit--Home

Besides being a mom and a writer, I am also a trained emergency responder.

I am a member of our city CERT team. CERT is Community Emergency Response Team. As a member, I've been trained in search and rescue, cribbing, IC system of command, and other emergency response skills.

However, my "specialty" is medical response. I am a certified EMR (Emergency Medical Responder), which means I have almost all the skills an EMT does, but because I have not passed the National Registry, I cannot ride an ambulance. However, unless God closes the door, I intend to pursue my EMT certification by this time next year.

One of my favorite things about being a medical responder is sharing what I know so others are able to prevent injury or illness or respond well to a situation.

My friend Liza Zuniga asked me what I keep in my home medical kit. That is a great qustion. It has certainly changed since I've become an EMR.

My primary kit is in the kids'/guest bathroom, but I have a few other things spread throughout the house. I'll give you my list, and at the end, I'll explain the reasoning for it. This may not be YOUR list, so take the thought process and apply it as necessary.

My "have on hand" includes:
bandaids of different sizes--non-latex; waterproof, fabric type that moves
knuckle and butterfly bandages are nice, but regular bandaids can be used for those things, too, just not as efficiently
blister bandaids--I won't go into the explanation, but they really are better for blisters.
2x2 gauze pads--sterile, great for larger cuts or roll them up and put them where a tooth fell out
4x4 gauze pads--sterile, I rarely use them, but when I do, it's a big deal
rolls of gauze--I keep 2 inch wide at home. It wraps around gauze to keep it in place, and if the blood soaks through the gauze and dressing, you simply add more gauze and more dressing (the gauze roll wrapped around to hold it). I don't use tape. Tape has to be removed which hurts the skin, pulls the skin that is trying to heal which can cause more bleeding, and leaves residue. Gauze words great.
ace bandages
triangle bandage or bandana
distilled or filtered water--not only can you use this to flush eyes (I prefer saline), but if there is a significant burn that needs medical care, you take a 4x4, get it moist, and keep it on the burned area. The burned area doesn't stick to the gauze, and the gauze helps protect the burn which is important since infection is a big deal with burns
antibiotic CREAM--absords while anointment just sits on the skin
anti-itch cream or spray
aloe product for mild burns. I have 2 plants. Great for lots of things.
corn starch type powder--I personally don't like talc based powders. They don't dry things up. Corn starch or Anti Monkey Butt powder is great for chaffing.
Meat tenderizer--make a polstice or paste and apply to stings. Vinegar is great for jelly fish stings
Benadryl or allergy med-- I prefer liquid because it digests faster (or at least my brain thinks it does), not just for my kids but for anyone would might react to my pets or pollen in our yard
High caffeine/high calorie soda--When Anna was little, she would go from normal to respiratory distress in minutes. I would give her a dose of Benadryl and follow right on it with Dr. Pepper or Mountain Dew. It is like a home style adrenaline push. Granted, she was buzzed up for a bit, but she wasn't blue or dead.
Q-tips--easier to spread antibiotic cream on would if you can just smooze it to the bandaid
thermometer
tweezers
Pedialite--better than Gatorade to prevent dehydration
non-latex gloves--so I don't give my cooties, and I don't get theirs.
antibacterial hand sanitizer--same as above. Plus, during cold and flu months, it might make a difference.
Vicks--on the chest under a t-shirt. Does wonders for respiratory stuff
the nose strips that hold you nose open so it is easier to breathe

Also, I only use Tylenol to piggy back for a fever. Tylenol does not work and play well with the liver, so I avoid it if possible.

WHAT I DON'T HAVE
Peroxide--kills skin cells and a good washing with water and soap, or letting the body wash the wound with its own bacteria killing defenses (blood) usually fixes it. If I need more than that, antibiotic cream.

I may be forgetting some things, but generally speaking, this is my medical home "kit". It is what I have developed based on our life experiences, such as two kids who had respiratory issues or severe allergies, our hobbies such as being outside a lot, and medical information my health provider or medical training provides.

I used to think small bandaids for home, but what if there is a large gash with a knife while cooking supper? What if a little person touches the iron? Any 2nd degree burn on a little person is a doctor trip, but before you get there, keep it moist.

What do you and your family do? Think about what could go wrong. How would you need to take care of that? What size bandaids do you need for different kinds of cuts? If you are active, sports bandaids or waterproof are good. Latex-free are great. Even if you and your family are good, guests may not be.

Think worst case scenerio. What if you all get the flu at once? Do you have enough ibuprofen? Pedialite? Cough medicine? Cough drops? What if you all get a stomach virus? Do you have crackers?

My kit is built from that thinking. Worst case scenerio, what will I need? If it is my family, what will I need? If it is a guest, what might they need?

I know what I listed may sound like a lot, but honestly, the bandaids, gauze, bandages, gloves, antibacterial cream, powder, and such is in a photo box type container in the bathroom. The medicines are with the other meds. The water, Pedialyte, and soda are in the pantry. They fit right into life. I did put the meat tenderizer in the bathroom box and labelled it as medical only because my other was used for cooking. Imagine that.

I hope this helps, and if you have other kit "essentials" you have found works for your family, please share them. I always learning how to take better care of those I love.

Blessings and health!

No comments:

Post a Comment