Pages

UNDAUNTED
For a few very hard years this word was my mantra.
The word means
-undismayed; not discouraged; not forced to abandon purpose or effort
-undiminished in courage or valor; not giving way to fear
But the truth is, I was often dismayed by everything that had taken place, and I did battle discouragement. I battled fear and doubts. I hurt and was angry, and sometimes "undaunted" sounded more like a mockery than a mantra, and I was determined to be real about all of it in these posts, thus the name, Undaunted Reality. More than that, though, I was determined to live undaunted, not because I'm so great or strong, but because my God is, and no matter what this world looks like, He is the only reality that matters.
I pray I live the reality of Him beautifully undaunted.

Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Challenge of Valentine's Day--Might Not Be What You Expect

I'm once again thinking about Valentine's.

You know why? Because Valentine's is a painful holiday for me.

I don't like being single. This is not where I had hoped my life would be at this point, BUT this IS my life, and I'm determined to make the best of it...and to give the best of it to others.

Last year my friend Kristi Davis gave me flowers, a gift, and a card on Valentine's Day. I still have no words, but my eyes tear up.

I know others who are not where they had hoped their lives would be either, and this is a hard holiday for them, so I'm honestly trying to focus my thoughts outside what I don't have or what I won't get to what I do have and what I can give.

Obviously, I can't send everyone a card or flowers or candy, and I wouldn't if I could. If I could give anything for Valentine's Day, I would give...what I want.

Something personal.
Something all about me because I like feeling valuable.
Something...that gives me joy.

That is what I would give...to anyone who needs it.

And I have an idea of how I am going to do that, but I have some details to figure out, so you'll have to wait for more information. I can assure you I believe it will bless others, and I am going to seriously enjoy it. :-)

In the meantime, may I suggest you prayerfully consider taking this challenge, too? Whether this is a great holiday or a painful holiday, take the step outside yourself, outside the joy or pain of what you expect to get, and ask what you can give.

Maybe it is one thing for one person. Maybe it is cookies for the neighborhood. Maybe...maybe right now Jesus is cooking up an idea for you beyond anything you can think or imagine. How crazy awesome would that be?!

So how 'bout it? You up for the challenge of Valentine's Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment