Pages

UNDAUNTED
For a few very hard years this word was my mantra.
The word means
-undismayed; not discouraged; not forced to abandon purpose or effort
-undiminished in courage or valor; not giving way to fear
But the truth is, I was often dismayed by everything that had taken place, and I did battle discouragement. I battled fear and doubts. I hurt and was angry, and sometimes "undaunted" sounded more like a mockery than a mantra, and I was determined to be real about all of it in these posts, thus the name, Undaunted Reality. More than that, though, I was determined to live undaunted, not because I'm so great or strong, but because my God is, and no matter what this world looks like, He is the only reality that matters.
I pray I live the reality of Him beautifully undaunted.

Friday, January 11, 2013

Time Well Spent--Part 2, What is Gained in Wasted Time

It was right before Christmas when it hit me.

2 1/2 years.

We had been hurting and healing for 2 1/2 years.

I pulled my covers tight and buried my head in my pillow.

2 1/2 wasted years.

How does one make peace with wasted time?

There is so much we could have done with 2 1/2 years, so much I could have taught the children instead of trying to keep them stable, so many things we could have seen, so many places we could have gone...so much we missed...

So much wasted time.

So much wasted life.

And what did we have to show for that time?

So many hard lessons learned. So much hard-won wisdom gained. So many life skills imparted. So much confidence in the ability to overcome. So much understanding of pain...what hurts...and those who hurt...and how to touch the pain gently. So much compassion. So much...

...ability to live well.

In the time we were trying to figure out simply how to survive, we were drowning in the grace of learning to live well.

It wasn't what I thought those years would look like or should look like. It certainly wasn't what I had wanted them to look like, but we came out being the people I want us to be.

1 comment:

  1. If His grace were an ocean, we'd be sinking! God is SO good!

    ReplyDelete