Pages

UNDAUNTED
For a few very hard years this word was my mantra.
The word means
-undismayed; not discouraged; not forced to abandon purpose or effort
-undiminished in courage or valor; not giving way to fear
But the truth is, I was often dismayed by everything that had taken place, and I did battle discouragement. I battled fear and doubts. I hurt and was angry, and sometimes "undaunted" sounded more like a mockery than a mantra, and I was determined to be real about all of it in these posts, thus the name, Undaunted Reality. More than that, though, I was determined to live undaunted, not because I'm so great or strong, but because my God is, and no matter what this world looks like, He is the only reality that matters.
I pray I live the reality of Him beautifully undaunted.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

An Honest Letter from This Side of the "Fail" Line--Part 2

Either Take Time to Hear our Hearts or Don't Waste Our Time

Both Rob and I are really tired of the emails and phone calls offering advice from people who don’t bother to call/email and ask how we are doing. And, folks, let’s cut to it. If you call and talk more than you listen or interrupt us so you can give us your pre-packaged speech, you really aren’t calling because you are concerned about us. You are calling to give your opinions and tell us how to fit into your box. You want to offer fixes, not an ear, not compassion, not a safe place. Even the kids have figured this out. What dumbfounds us both is if you are shocked we are separated, you didn’t know things were wrong to begin with and certainly not the extent of problems we were having. If you don’t know the problems or how serious they are, you probably don’t have advice or counsel on how to fix them, and that scatter-shot approach so many are using is simply unfounded guesses formed into judgments, and you know what? They don’t make us feel any better. They just make it so we don’t answer the phone next time your number comes up.


One of the things I have found dumbfounding through this are the Christians who tell me to have faith for healing but seem to have none of their own. I cannot tell you the number of people who have formed condemning opinions of Rob based on information that I incorrectly trusted them with two months ago. In those two months, they have been judgmental at best and flat out hateful at worst, even going so far as saying Rob is headed for hell, without calling/emailing for follow up or assuming things could remotely change. And they NEVER contacted him at all. They said, “I’ll be praying for Rob’s healing and the healing of your marriage,” and instead of truly expecting healing and periodically asking, “Has the healing begun to manifest yet?”, they have taken on unrighteous indignation and offense that was not theirs to take. They did not take on concern or compassion. I have seen nothing that suggests their interest was in the restoration of the brother…just the condemning of him.

Folks, if that is really what Christianity in the church is, then Rob isn’t the only one that “has a hard heart and needs to get right with God”. In fact, after watching him humble himself over the last two months, maybe he should show you a few things.

Continued in Part 3-Institutional Idolatry

No comments:

Post a Comment